Blog Archive

11 September 2019

What did you learn? Part 1



What did you learn? Part 1
** Any quiz or test should be structured so that it helps enlighten the student! **


Date:   9/10/2019 ... viewed 26 times
Much of the higher education in the USA has been propositioned to the point of getting a high grade at the expense of actually learning the subject at hand!

The modern Higher Education has been set up on getting the highest score or grades - while a very excellent endeavor - fails when those who whizzed thru the system with A's and B's at the expense of not having a firm grip on the subject matter!
I.E. They did not really learn the subject at hand! SAD!

While I was attending college in my Jr and Sr years, my wife was employed as a Female Dorm Monitor at the university I attended;  working the 11PM (23:00) - 07:00 shift.

 One of the things she noted {was the way most of the students were there mainly to party and gallivant around - up until the Finals Exam Week} then there were signs put up in the dorms - " death to those who disrupt our cramming! " etc!

This behavior has been confirmed in a similar style on many other university campus. This just goes to show how much of the college life is very much about recreation and parties, therefore it must comes down to be all about the Grades! {How ever the grades are made}

Any quiz or test should be structured so that it helps enlighten the student!

Much of the testing I saw was very weak at displaying the actual level of education on the course at hand! In fact many times I have witnessed those who were there, only to get a desired high score or grade - never mind learning the course! But actually, in it should not be the grade is all that really counts.  What good does it make to receive an " A "  grade yet not really know anything about the course taken? The final fact should be whether or not you actually learned something useful or appropriate in your study?

I have sat in classes at both HS and College, where some people cheated and managed to get the prestigious desired higher grade point! I studied and made efforts to learn and understand most whatever course I took. Most times I was not a high-grade point student - yet even years later I could and even today recall much of the course, because I had actually studied! So my grade point average did not look like so many others - but I did actually learn to use the subject in life!

Jumping 50 years later, we now see not only where looking at the grades are so important but now even down to the Elementary School levels sporting events.
Where every one receives an award or trophy! {To me that makes the whole idea of the Trophy phony to begin with!} It appears that many of we humans have become so caught up in this drive for awards or grades that we have sold our souls for the mere possession or acclaim! So what is the real reason for higher Education?

This does not mean that there should not be awards or trophy's - rather let there be a very good reason to drive students to an escape to Elysian Fields! Or the drive to get ones face out front and popular!

I always thought that school and higher education was to help improve the students thinking thus allowing them to grasp the important facts and elements of getting a better education! {Not just getting a higher grade point average or some special premonition!}

Paid my way thru, college and worked to keep a home and did not have time to attend or be very much involved in the Campus life scene! For me higher education was an opportunity to better myself and help others! 

** Example: It is like this; if some one who took the same course I did met again years later; and we went over our Higher Education Summery  =   What good will it be for the student I met to say " I do not remember much about the class but I got "An A".    Yet while I can recite most of the basic parts of the class can apply the knowledge today - but I only made a "D" grade. Because I came to school to learn not play ball or look good! 
{This is not about playing ball or looking good - it is about priorities and exactly what is the real reason for getting a higher education?}

Sounds like a false system of values to me!

The grade is only an indicator, not the proof positive of how much someone learned! We should put the main purpose out front! Then show the proper use of your education, which should be to help not only yourself but the world! Education is a free will choice and not everyone will want to do it - because it seems easy to just follow the crowd and be a popular Baffin or happy idiot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The most powerful message ever preached in past 50 years !

 AWMI.com  **  The most powerful message ever preached in past 50 years !  10 Reasons It's Better to Have the Holy Spirit ...

Popular