Blog Archive

14 April 2019

Cramming and Raming what is the reason!

Cramming and jamming never worked very well in college - from what I saw! My wife worked as a Female dorms monitor at USF, Tampa - while I attended there. One thing she noted was just before exam time -  the girls crammed and had notes posted like " Death to those who disturb " Quite or else! " ETC.

Karoline from Babbel Magazine - was also keen to dispel the myths about cramming or binge learning: “This is when you have a big test coming up, so you sit down and try to learn everything that you need to know. But how much do you remember after a week? Probably not that much.” Instead of worrying about trying to do a lot all at once, it’s actually more important to repeat a smaller portion of information more frequently. She continued, “To get something into long term memory, you must make connections and repeat it.

Repetition is essential in language learning.”

So my advice is to take a gradual and persistent course of study and lesson learning! Slow and sure will prove the better way to go in the long run. I have noticed that many who crammed and may even have passed the test.  But generally will when ask or quizzed on that subject cannot discuss it because they never learned it!

So cramming and such skulduggery did them little good in learning the subject at hand! I have some first-hand information that some students who took the tests and scored high - yet today they can not tell you much about it! This just proves that being a good test taker does not make you an expert on the subject.

I did not tend to be a high-grade point student in the upper grades, yet I learned the subject so that I can reiterate much of what I took now. Courses like Logic, Statistics, History, Geography, Geology, Electronics, Physics, Chemistry and mechanics - I can recite and fully use that were taken some over 50 years ago. I never crammed! I may have received a low or poor grade on some tests, but I can teach it to you today if needed!

It comes down to learning the subject or not!  First, stop and pay attention as to what you observe,  and then put your knowledge into action!  Letter grades may indicate certain points in testing - but they do not definitely show the full extent of actual learning!  Another thing I learned in High School and College is people will cheat on tests!

I was brought up in Dixie and taught to not cheat or fib. Take your time and study, being sure each part is about the overall subject. Keeping pieces small is better than a total slam bam approach! Learning is about understanding the subject to the point where you can teach it to others.
 I was an Electronic Engineer who travelled to different places in the world as part of a Navy Contract for a UPS uninterruptible power systems. It required direct Start-up Supervision of the equipment,  with a 40-hour on-site class,  with a combination of both hands on and trouble shooting with the schematics down to the Electronic Component level!

This was one way that I became an expert;  because the experience was my teacher and having a hands approach of the actual system educated me! Of course, I attended many real Factory, vendor support courses and Technical Support Schools over the years! Also acted a Company Safety officer and investigator learning the OSHA onsite regulations and applying them in the field! Taking time to learn directly while appling accumulated knowledge!

Try to take time to learn and { I hate to say it } forget the Grades; while they may be indicators they do not actually prove you learned the subject! I have seen this in action spending the last 12 years of my Electronics work as a Technical Support Manager. I had to follow up and assist Field engineers troubleshooting problems!

I have worked in all types of industry. Including Nuclear Power plants, Offshore Oil rigs, Ships both at sea and in the docks,. All type plants Steel Mills, Glass Plants, Chemical Plants, Different type Mines, Automotive and Aircraft Assembly plants. Pipe mills, Agriculture process plants, Hospitals, hotels and many other commerical sites.

Many of the Largest Data centers, Military Bases, Government Data centers, IRS, Fed Reserve banks, Commerical Banking centers, Railroad as well as major Airlines facilities.
Also worked in Universities, major commercial Stores H.Q.,  many, overseas sites, NASA, Navy Satellite systems, The Naval Oceanographic center Stines Space and Rocket Center, The CIA at McLean,  Kenndy Space Center, The Redstone Space base, plus many more opportunities! Too many to list here.  Experience come thru actual hands on and direct equiptment on sites where ever!

So slow down and pay attention, then you should learn something and hopefully be able to use it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The most powerful message ever preached in past 50 years !

 AWMI.com  **  The most powerful message ever preached in past 50 years !  10 Reasons It's Better to Have the Holy Spirit ...

Popular