Blog Archive

02 July 2018

What is a Blessing?


Life is?? #315 What a Blessing!
** What is a blessing and where do they come from? **

Date:   7/2/2018
Blessings from grandfathers are one of the best forms of passing good fortune and imparting useful practical day to day education! This morning I came to remember the guidance of my main Grand Daddy Albert McLean. His example gave me the proper way to live a balanced and productive life ever since.

Brought up without the presence of my father in our home - left my connection with a male role model up to my Grandaddy McLean. Due to family problems only saw my Grandfather Obermeyer once when in the 2nd grade for one day. Therefore until my mother remarried when I was 13 - Granddaddy was my male role model.

When I was 10, He took me bird hunting for the first time, we walked down the railroad tracks by his house and tried unsuccessfully to scare up some Quail. Several times he took both my younger brother and me fishing either in the River or to some ponds.

He taught us obedience and/or what was safe or dangerous. He kept Firearms in a closet in his house, but unless he or one of my uncles was present we were NEVER to touch them - and we never did even we knew exactly where they were - we never played with guns! This ingrained the seriousness of firearms in our minds. We learned how to handle firearms properly and shot under direct supervision.

With all my uncles and Stepfather, there were always guns in the house.- Therefore I gained a healthy respect and understanding of the use of guns - unlike many today! Received proper firearms use and carried them in the Navy as needed.

So what is it with all the hair-brained stupid gun actions of the past fifty years?
Mainly Ignorance and not following the directions of God in our lives!
Fools operating from the Devil's evil workshop!  So it is not the guns folks - because guns do not think they are are only tools or machines! So learn how to use your tools whatever they are. You must learn the truth and to be responsible for your actions in all areas of life!

Other things that were instilled in us was, never steal or take things that do not belong to you, respect the rights of others this includes their property. Work for what you need and do not be a spendthrift going into debt. Lies come from the Devil's workshop - engaging in falsehoods only lead everyone to sorrow! Learn to do your duty {that which is expected of you} - Do not force you selfish will or ideas upon others.

While my Grandaddy never attended church when Big Moma {our name for my Grandmother McLean} took us. Many times we walked (even though we had cars) the mile to the First Methodist church. Which is where I received Christ at age of 10 - at the invitation of an evangelist " Brother Barnett "
We always had prayer and the Blessing of the food by Granddaddy; for he knew the Holy Scriptures and often recited them to us. Unless you truly know God you will be led captive in this life!

While in the 4th grade Granddaddy walked with us the 3 blocks to the School Gym for the Halloween festivities - But on coming home, my younger brother got throwing up sick - Big Moma said " Mr. Mac " one of her names for Grandaddy; " you went an let that boy eat too much junk".

Every now and then he would give us some change and let us walk down to the local store for some " Belly Wash " as he called soda pop or " soft drinks". Then there was his term of foolishness {which he seldom engaged in} - he called it "hogwash" or just being plain stupid.

We were not perfect children {Are there any?} - we used to play out in his '47 Oldsmobile, where we could turn on the heater fan, making like the engine sound - it usually went well except for one time we forgot to turn the fan off and it ran the car battery down, Boy was Grandaddy grumpy.

Another time Grandaddy had picked up some groceries and we were in the back of his '28 Model "A" - sitting some in town, we got hungry so we dove into a loaf of bread, By the time we got back to the house we had eaten much of it; and when Big Moma saw it - she said,
" Mr. Mac - why did you let these boys eat most of the bread?"

These were just some of the experiences I learned from and with my Granddaddy - which led me to come to a better man! These blessings were benefits of direction in my life. Seek your Blessings - God sends each of us many blessings but so often people do not avail themselves of the benefits available.

Do you learn? I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The most powerful message ever preached in past 50 years !

 AWMI.com  **  The most powerful message ever preached in past 50 years !  10 Reasons It's Better to Have the Holy Spirit ...

Popular